Thursday, November 16, 2017

Working in Groups

I have always been a fan working on projects outside of normal class time. Although it might require some extra work, it is typically worth it in my opinion. I am someone who typically struggles at taking tests, but that does not mean I am not learning. I feel that projects are really a better way to analyze true knowledge of a subject. A lot of test taking is done by memorization. I like thinking back to when I worked in the city of Chicago this past summer for a venture capitalist firm. A large part of my job was to make compelling presentations and then reflect on what I learned to my bosses. I was able to learn valuable skills by doing this that has transferred into my school work. Feel free to check out more about the company here. I am glad that more of my classes are incorporating more presentations and projects instead of dreading a test. For whatever reason, I find myself a little bit nervous for whatever reason. Presenting in front of the class on a project I am confident in allows a better learning experience for me. Do you feel the same way or do you enjoy taking tests?

                                                 

Image by William R. Goodman via Wikipedia Commons

5 comments:

  1. Hey Beau, yes I agree that working in groups are very helpful. It gives people that have trouble with communicating with people a chance to learn how to communicate. Groups also give a chance for people to be able to depend on others because everyone is assigned a part of the project. Usually for group projects it is tough to be dependent on someone that you don’t know much about. That is why it’s important to get to know your group members.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that colleges in general are realizing how valuable group projects can be. They make you learn valuable skills like time management, how to work in a group, researching, and many more. The test taking strategy is good though in my opinion for fact classes like science and math where if they don’t know the concept it couldn’t only cost them their job but even many a life. Otherwise I feel that classes should really use group projects more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting blog post beau about group presentations. I like that you incorporated your own experience with test taking. I myself struggle with test taking like you I also feel a little more stressed whenever I have to do a presentation.. For myself I feel like writing papers I’m more comfortable doing than taking a test. I also get a little stress when I have to present in front of the whole entire class because I’m afraid I may mess up. I’m glad that your internship in Chicago taught you valuable skills to help you better yourself and your classes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you that there a lot to learn from working in groups on different projects. It is essential to many work places, and I like the point you made about them being a little bit of an exercise in memorization. I think it's a good comparison that you made to taking a test. I don't necessarily prefer test taking or presentations, because I feel as thought I have strengths and weaknesses in both. However, I too notice more classes adding in presentations, several of my classes this semester have final projects that are presentations. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Beau, I think this is a great subject to bring up. Everyone is a different type of learner, for instance some people are better at writing than they are at tests, while some people are better at taking test than they are doing projects. For me, writing a paper or doing a project is my best way of showing my comprehension of the subject matter. Tests apply too much unnecessary pressure along with the fact that you may understand the subject but just because you get one question wrong does not mean you understand it. So I agree with you!

    ReplyDelete