Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Developing My Career in Media

This past summer, I had an opportunity that most kids who love sports only dream about. I was finally able to fulfill my dream of being in an NBA locker room. I can imagine that almost everyone who is reading this blog is wondering how I got to do this. I was lucky enough to meet the head coach of my hometown Chicago Bulls, Fred Hoiberg, at a local restaurant early in the summer.


Image by GoIowaState.com via Wikipedia Commons


 I was with my dad, and if it was not for him, I am not sure I would have had the courage to go up to him. I am a sports junkie, so seeing him was a big deal to me. I went up to him and introduced myself, and we talked basketball for about ten to fifteen minutes. It was awesome to see that he was such a down to earth person. As we were wrapping up our discussion, I invited him to play golf with my dad and I. Coach said he would do his best to fit a round into his busy schedule, and he gave his number to me. I reached out to him the next day, and we scheduled a round for early August. I was so excited that I could barely contain myself. Hoiberg brought his assistant coach, Jim Boylen, who was also a terrific guy. Midway through the round, Boylen invited me to the Bulls game against the Phoenix Suns this upcoming November.


Image by Keith Allison via Wikipedia Commons

I still cannot wait for that day. Anyways, my dad and I reached out to the editor of Hinsdale Magazine for the possibility of doing a cover story on coach about the new look Chicago Bulls. He was completely on board with my vision, and he gave me the green light. I interviewed coach at the Bulls new practice facility, the Advocate Center. I have plans for continuing my journalism career with Hinsdale Magazine and I am excited to see new opportunities that come my way. Check out the full article about the new look Bulls and coach starting on page 26.




5 comments:

  1. That is so exciting! I think its really cool that you're using your love of sports and your talent for media to do such cool things! It's really cool that your article got published, and you get to have such cool experiences from it! Great job and nice blog post =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Beau! This is truly amazing! I love sports as well and I cannot imagine how incredible that experience had to be. On top of that, you turned a good situation into a great one by being able to write an article for that magazine. That is something that majority of young adults our age never will accomplish in our lifetimes. Yet you interviewed the head coach of the Chicago bulls at merely 20 years old! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice to read about this Beau. Today (Tues 10/31) if you don't mind I will ask you to talk to the class about it a little, informally. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. I'm shook
    2. I'm so excited for you; this story got me really hyped.
    3. I can only imagine what this entire journey felt like to you. From start to finish, it got progressively more shocking and I am so glad you found your passion and someone who believes in you that can enable you to follow that passion. Congrats and I hope everything goes really well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Beau,What an exciting and unbileveable experience you had, i am also a basketball fans and i support Houston reocket for more than 10 years since 2002 Yao Ming came to NBA, I have watch several NBA games in arena and those were exciting but i have never had a chance to go in to the loker room or meet the coach or players so close, what a wonderful experience you had, have you enjoy your game in November and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete